Advice from the Supervisor’s Guide
• Do your best to keep employees late. None of them have a life outside work, and they will appreciate being kept busy.
• If you have special instructions for a job, don’t write them down. Save them until the job is almost done. That will teach workers to be flexible.
• Never give staff work in the morning. Always wait until 5 p.m. and then bring it to them. They appreciate the challenge.
• After making an assignment, always think of at least three revisions you will require once employees report back to you with the completed assignment. This helps underlings anticipate your thought process the next time.
• If it’s really a “rush job” as differentiated from the other 117 “rush jobs” you’ve given an employee so far this week, run in and interrupt him or her every 10 minutes to inquire how it’s going. That greatly adds to efficiency.